Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Colonial Williamsburg Regional Visitor Center
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation operates the world's largest living history museum — the restored 18th‐century capital of Britain's largest, wealthiest, and most populous outpost of empire in the New World. In Colonial Williamsburg's 301‐acre Historic Area stand hundreds of restored, reconstructed, and historically furnished buildings. Costumed interpreters tell the stories of the men and women of the 18th‐century city — black, white, and native American, slave, indentured, and free — and the challenges they faced. For more information, visit www.history.org.
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation began extensive, multi‐year construction renovation projects in 2000 to enhance the original 1957 Visitor Center complex and two of their five hotels. 1717 was selected to design all the new exhibits in the 21,500 SF, renovated and expanded Visitor Center building designed by Carlton Abbott & Partners.
In 2006, The 1717 Design Group was asked by the Foundation to redesign the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center exhibits to temporarily serve as the official Regional Welcome Center for America's Historic Triangle during the year‐long Jamestown 2007 commemoration. Comprehensive new exhibits focused on the Historic Triangle's primary celebration partners — Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown.
In 2010, 1717 was again invited to work with the Foundation to redesign the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center for its additional role as the Colonial Williamsburg Regional Visitor Center. Cooperative marketing displays were developed to assist Williamsburg's guests plan and enjoy their visit to all of the region's attractions, including beaches, theme parks, and cultural sites.